6 Carrot Gold
April 29, 2012 § Leave a comment
Friday there was a birthday here in the apartment. Our roommate turned 19 so I decided she needed copious amounts of cake. I suck at making cakes. They don’t rise. They taste bland. They’re dry. Over cooked. Undercooked. You name it, I would have done it wrong in a cake. But Ane (roommate) loves Carrot CAKE. So on to the net I hoped in the hope of finding a Carrot cup CAKE recipe. See, cake is still there, just more foolproof in a cupcake. This is the one I used care of BBC Good Food.
Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing
175g brown sugar
100g wholemeal flour
100g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp mixed spice ( I may have used a tad more – I didn’t measure)
zest of one orange
juice of one orange (As suggested by others. Definitely needed it. Would have been too dry without it)
150ml sunflower oil (I used rapeseed oil. Any vegetable oil usually works just not olive as it’s too strong)
200g carrot (About 6 medium-sized carrots)
Icing (I adjusted the recipe since I had less cream cheese)
40g butter, softened
200g cream cheese (I tried using the light stuff and it turned out really runny. I recommend using the normal stuff)
1 tsp vanilla extract/essence/vanilla sugar
enough icing sugar to get a good taste
- Mix the dry ingredient and zest in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the eggs, juice, oil and carrot.
- Add wet ingredient to the dry and mix until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Spoon in to cup cake moulds/cases/forms/whatever you use.
- Bake for 20-22 min or until they spring back when touched.
- Use an electric beater to make the icing. Just chuck all the ingredients together. Allow the cupcake to cool before icing. Experience has taught me impatience and baking aren’t such a good combo. Make sure you find yourself something to do for an hour or so so you won’t fidget with the muffins and/or the icing every two minutes.